Tuesday, January 5, 2010

first cemetery walk

as long as I can remember, I have been walking in cemeteries. first, as a child with my parents, then, in high school with friends (we were always very respectful...I absolutely cannot understand vandalism), and a few times as an adult, including an very old one on the east coast that Jeff, Shell and I were able to see in '99 --it was incredible to see dates as far back as the 1700s.

today, I shared this tradition with my three younger children. they all enjoyed walking among the plots and reading the names and dates. we smiled at the beautiful inscriptions, and, of course, I cried at the ones who died much too young. we did not know any of the people personally whose graves we visited today, but we did get to know their names and a glimpse of them ~ 'loving mother', 'devoted husband', 'dear friend'.

it was a lovely afternoon of reflection, quiet, and fresh air. and the overcast, grey day that we would have otherwise seen as dreary, provided the perfect backdrop to this outing :)

1 comment:

snazzykc said...

We do this to...we try to imagine what their lives were like. When we see families or multiples with the same death year, we wonder if there was an epidemic. To see how we are all connected is a good thing, to get a glimpse that life is not forever is something to make us want to live more intently now.