Friday, October 28, 2011

The Good I've Found (TGIF) : schematic drawings and math



I have always loved sketches. Perhaps because my dad is an artist and it reminds me of watching him begin a drawing or lay the ground work for a painting. Perhaps because I did so well in jr. high shop class and am still so proud of the A's I earned in a traditionally 'boy' class.

But I think it is more than just that. There is just something so intriguing to me about the plans/dimensions/numbers being visible. A skeletal, mathematic base from which the final piece will emerge. The necessary blend of creativity and precision.

a very good reminder for me as I struggle through teaching my children math. 

My artistic mind wants only to read, to 'rite...but certainly not to 'rithmatic. yuck.

yet, looking at this simple charcoal and ink, I am humbled. Math is everywhere. And I have been blessed with children with strong, capable minds...minds that deserve the opportunity to experience life unhindered by predjudices against this subject. 

yes, MATH is my TGIF this week. (and, yes, I'm surprised, too!)

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Now if we can only get your youngest sister to find some good in math as well...